There is a huge emphasis in developing the mental abilities of children. Other than training them to make the most out of their logical and thinking faculties, it would also help if the brain is developed sufficiently. This is where health comes into the picture. One of the best ways to ensure the brain is healthy is by the food we eat. This is especially true for kids, whose mental faculties are still being shaped. Here is the list of some of the best brain food for kids.
1. Eggs– Everybody’s favorite breakfast meal is one of the best brain foods out there. Eggs are extremely nutritious, having an abundance of brain-boosting proteins, zinc, lutein, choline, and omega-3 fatty acids. It can also be served in a number of ways, either by itself or as a topping for sandwiches and tortillas. Egg consumption is seen to improve concentration in children.
2. Kale– Greens are among the best brain foods you can give for children. However, kale stands out as a superior brain food for kids. Its abundance of folate and vitamins enhances the development of the brain and protects it from damage as they grow old. It also contains sulforaphane, a powerful detoxifying agent, and diindolylmethane, which facilitates the growth of new brain cells.
3. Apple– Apples are known to be a favorite for children. It’s known to contain a high amount of vitamins and dietary fiber. However, one of its more underrated qualities is how they help the brain develop. Its main brain-helping ingredient is quercitin, a chemical found mostly in the skin of apples. This compound is seen to have a direct effect on the prevention of cognitive decline in both short and long terms.
4. Fish– While fish is deservingly credited for being an awesome heart-friendly food, it is also a fact that fish is also an equally awesome brain food for kids and adults. Fish has an abundance of lean protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin D, which all support brain development. In fact, children with sufficient omega-3 consumption are seen to have better overall mental function.
5. Nuts– Different kinds of nuts and seeds are linked to better brain health and performance. Loaded with proteins, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals, they are known to develop and maintain superior brain functions. Some are even rich with Vitamin E, selenium, and folate, 3 of the most brain-friendly compounds known to man. Nuts are among the best snacks you can give to your kids.